Friday, August 3, 2012

It's Been a Month - and doTERRA review

So, sorry to say, I've been a blog slacker!  Not good!

It's been a busy month.  The past few weeks I've been working hard at building my doTERRA biz here in PA.  And all over the east coast.  I even started a Nerdbook group for it, which you can like here if you want!

I wanted to do a bit of a doTERRA review.  I've been with this company for nearly a year now, and there are some good and not-so-great things about the company.  I hope they take a moment to reevaluate some of their policies.


Overall, I like the company.  I feel it's a superb product with superb benefits.  After many months of studying, I feel competent to represent it by selling in a class format.  These oils have been proven in so many studies and in so many personal lives as effective, and more and more studies are showing this every day, but a lot of people have closed off their minds to anything else besides what their doctor/god tells them.  It's been really sad to see how limited this makes people in taking responsibility for their own body and well being.

That said, I wish doTERRA were more accessible for those with limited incomes.  It comes down to sacrifice, and for some, and an altered paradigm.  Is it more important to purchase a $20+ bottle of peppermint, which vastly can increase the health and well-being of a family, or to put gas in the car, which allows the income to come in from one's employment?  doTERRA has an exceptional level of quality products, however I'm finding that so many people are making that choice.  Gas or oils?  Food or oils?  Diapers or oils?  To maintain income from those enrolled in one's "downline", it's required for the individual to maintain an autoship of $100 or more.  For some, this is literally asking them to sacrifice the staples of everyday living.  (Please see my "UPDATED" post on this misinformation.  My apologies!!!)

Sacrifice brings forth blessings, but is this how we want to do business?  I'm not criticizing doTERRA, but posing the rhetorical question.  Is it really requisite to maintain such a steep standard to allow one to maintain their business?  Or to even begin to experiment with whether or not to pursue it?

It reminds me of college.  My professor jokingly told us that what was expensive for us at $10 changes to $100 when you're married with a family.  A night out splurging as a college kid was $10.  A night out with a family splurging was $100.  That's how this $100 autoship feels.  As if there are wealthy people setting a standard that "poor college kids" have a really hard time attaining, but they would understand when they get to the "stage" in life where they have that kind of income to work with.

I mentioned my thoughts on this policy to a friend, who said for these people on super tight budgets, it really will come down to sacrifice.  What's it worth to value your body?  To obtain optimum health?  To shift your paradigms?  To create a new space where God can fully help you blossom?  That, perhaps, is the million dollar question.

5 stars for the oils.  I'm at a 1 on the "policy" scale.  If I could change it, I clearly would.  I feel there should be no minimums (except to place a monthly order) to maintain those commissions.  What would it hurt to do away with this policy?  Perhaps it will take another company coming into the market to show that policies like this are not necessarily necessary. 

~Jen

UPDATE:  This post was written many months ago, and has since become one of my more commonly read posts.  If you found this interesting, please consider my updated view as included in my "90 Day Challenge" and other related posts, where I take time to write about individual oils, how to effectively purchase oils for best cost savings, and their effects in my family's life.  I hope you enjoy these posts, which I'll attempt to include here as I share them.  If you find these beneficial, please consider sharing with a friend, pinning my pictures via Pinterest, keeping up on Nerdbook, or joining my blog via Google Friend Connect.  Thanks for taking the time to read and stay in touch!

How to "Buy" doTERRA, Part 1
How to "Buy" doTERRA, Part 2
Major doTERRA Misunderstanding
Day 1 - 90 Day Challenge
Day 2 - 90 Day Challenge - Eucalyptus for Coughs
Day 3 - 90 Day Challenge - Deep Blue for Post-Op Pain
Day 4 - 90 Day Challenge - Oregano did it Again
Day 5 - 90 Day Challenge - Bedtime Balance Review
Day 6 - 90 Day Challenge - DigestZen for Stomach Bug
Day 7 - 90 Day Challenge - Understanding the "LRP", Part 1
Day 8 - 90 Day Challenge - Understanding the "LRP", Part 2
Day 9 - 90 Day Challenge - Understanding the "LRP", Part 3
Day 10 - 90 Day Challenge - How to Start Earning Oils Through the LRP, Part 1
Day 11 - 90 Day Challenge - How to Start Earning Oils Through the LRP, Part 2
Day 12 - 90 Day Challenge - How to Start Earning Oils Through the LRP, Part 3
Day 13 - 90 Day Challenge - How to Start Earning Oils Through the LRP, Part 4
Day 14 - 90 Day Challenge - Changes by using Life Long Vitality Pack
Day 15 - 90 Day Challenge - Supporting Childbirth with Essential Oils
Day 16 - 90 Day Challenge - Super-Basics of Essential Oil Chemistry
Day 17 - 90 Day Challenge - What's a Terpene? (Hydrocarbons, Part 1)
Day 18 - 90 Day Challenge - Cleaning Bathrooms without the Cleaner-Fumes Headache
Day 19 - 90 Day Challenge - Nighttime Solace for Cramps
Day 20 - 90 Day Challenge - Using Balance to Amplify a Second Oil
Day 21 - 90 Day Challenge - Stomach Bug at Your Place Too?
Day 22 - 90 Day Challenge - I'm BAAAACK!!!  How to Deal with Colds and Flus
Day 24 - 90 Day Challenge - Something Hokey about Rosemary
Day 25 - 90 Day Challenge - A Case of Endometriosis?
Day 26 - 90 Day Challenge - A Company Worth Investing In?
Day 27 - 90 Day Challenge - Free Friday Night Online Classes!
Day 28 - 90 Day Challenge - Swimming Blood Cells with Balance
Day 29 - 90 Day Challenge - The One Who Doesn't Use OnGuard Toothpaste
Day 30 - 90 Day Challenge - Friday Night Reinventing Healthcare FREE online webinars!
Day 31 - 90 Day Challenge - OnGuard Popcorn!
Day 32 - 90 Day Challenge - TerraZyme Blooper!
Day 33 - 90 Day Challenge - Lavender, the Anti-histamine Oil
Day 34 - 90 Day Challenge - Health Food Store Owner vs. Idiot doTERRA User
Day 35 - 90 Day Challenge - Active Healing Oil Team Launch!
Day 36 - 90 Day Challenge - Clear Skin Foaming Face Wash
Day 37 - 90 Day Challenge - Vegan Trim Shake in my Blueberry Smoothie!
Day 38 - 90 Day Challenge - Citrus Bliss Success Story!
Day 39 - 90 Day Challenge - Feeling Dizzy with Vertigo?
Day 40 - 90 Day Challenge - Some People Just Don't Like Oils
Day 41 - 90 Day Challenge - You're Still Using Store Bought Deodorant?
Day 42 - 90 Day Challenge - I Heart You, Melaleuca!
Day 43 - 90 Day Challenge - Insights on Serenity Blend, Part 1 (Lavender)
Day 44 - 90 Day Challenge - Insights on Serenity Blend, Part 2 (Sweet Marjoram)
Day 45 - 90 Day Challenge - Insights on Serenity Blend, Part 3 (Roman Chamomile)
Day 46 - 90 Day Challenge - Insights on Serenity Blend, Part 4 (Ylang Ylang)
Day 47 - 90 Day Challenge - Insights on Serenity Blend, Part 5 (Hawaiian Sandalwood)
Day 48 - 90 Day Challenge - Insights on Serenity Blend, Part 6 (Vanilla Bean Extract)
Day 49 - 90 Day Challenge - Getting In Tune with InTune, Part 1 (Introduction)
Day 50 - 90 Day Challenge - Getting In Tune with InTune, Part 2 (Amyris)
Day 51 - 90 Day Challenge - Getting In Tune with InTune, Part 3 (Patchouli)
Day 52 - 90 Day Challenge - Getting In Tune with InTune, Part 4 (Frankincense)
Day 53 - 90 Day Challenge - Getting InTune with InTune, Part 5 (Lime)
Day 54 - 90 Day Challenge - Getting InTune with InTune, Part 6 (Wrap-up)
Day 55 - 90 Day Challenge - Oils of OnGuard, a Warm Introduction
Day 56 - 90 Day Challenge - Oils of OnGuard, Featuring Wild Orange
Day 57 - 90 Day Challenge - Oils of OnGuard, Clove

If you would like to learn more about essential oils, or doTERRA products, please don't hesitate to contact me at jenheadjen [at] gmail [dot] com for more information. Please include a detailed description of what kind of information you would like to know about, so I can more quickly address your questions or interests.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. These are my personal experiences, and your experiences may vary. I am a doTERRA Independent Product Consultant, #90718.

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for the doTERRA review! I have heard bits and pieces about the oils, kind of wondered what it's all about. Haven't tried it myself though. I'm not a big fan of certain aspects of MLMs. I can see benefits on the business side, of course. Have you heard of Malaleuca? They have a large variety of products, from chemical-free cleansers, to natural supplements, etc. etc. I like their products a lot but can't commit to the $50 you have to spend every month. So... still wondering that million dollar question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sabra! I hear you about the MLM stuff. I haven't heard of Malaleuca. I'll have to check them out! Especially if they make pure melaleuca!!! Love that stuff!!! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also a consultant and I believe that the 100 a month is hard on some. I would like if it was changed. I also believe that alot of people are very turned off to the MLM too I know I am .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, April. I wonder what it would take to get that change to happen. Amen to the MLM. I'm a little discouraged to see the announcement of the new (and surely) multi-million dollar complex they're planning. When people ask me why these oils are so expensive, I explain all the testing and things that go into it. But knowing that we're paying for commissions wrapped into the wholesale, and now a new ginormous visitors center is in the works, I'm actually quite unsettled. I hope hope hope they reconsider that one.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen,

    Do you know why doTerra requires you to disclose your SS and DOB in order to get into the wholesale "club" part of the company? That is troubling. Anyinsight as to why they want this personal information?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan, thanks for your question. I am unnerved myself, especially when I find that almost every company I do business with requires a SSN and DOB, and shortly after ask for a credit card. We put a immeasurable amount of trust in a company when we sign our name to a fine print contract and they have those important numbers.

    With doTERRA, when you get a wholesale account, it's specifically classified as an "Independent Product Consultant" account, meaning that you can (if you wish) sell the products you get at that wholesale rate. Because of that, they take your SS and DOB in order to process income tax forms so you don't have to, should you choose to go that route.

    {Are you looking into getting an account? (Pick me for your team!;)}

    Thanks for stopping by - let me know if you have any more question's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I just want to buy products for myself at the wholesale rate are there tax implications?

      Thank you so much for the info!

      Delete
    2. I don't believe so, besides the sales tax that is incurred on some of the products, but you'll pay that at checkout.

      You're very welcome! Let me know if I can answer anything else! :)

      Delete
  7. I agree with what you are saying. I'm personally at the wholesale level right now. I'm being encouraged to move up on the ladder and even being helped, by having new consultants sign up under my name... but the $100 a month is a lot to commit to. Especially with today's economy and just never knowing what tomorrow may bring... :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha! Absolutely - you never know what's coming next! I hope someone hears these comments and makes adjustments within reason. Hopefully it'll help some of the newbies like you and I to get some greater growth potential, as the $100 limit is still a bit of a hinderance for many of the people I meet. Thanks for commenting & stopping by! :)

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure if I'm on the right place but I just want to tell someone of my experience with the oils. 3 days ago when I was dropping my son off to school and I was hacking up a lung ( i am a smoker with bronchitis) with a mother who was dropping her son off walked up to me and said I have something for you that will knock that right out, she asked if she could come over and I said yes.So later that day she came and after smelling the oils and how sick I was $60 seemed to be a small price to pay to feel better then how I was feeling. so I bought the on guard, oregano, and she gave me a sample of the breathe. It's been two days since I have been internally taking the oils and I am 85% better with no side effects of antibiotics. WOW that's all I can say! Buying $60 of oils to make me feel as good as I feel now is pretty amazing and I'm on a fix income myself single mom of four! I am very excited to tell people how great I feel just after two days and I was so sick I was on a inhaler and on my way to the ER before this lady came to my house with the oils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, you are so welcome to share your review here! What a wonderful experience!!! I never thought to share like your new friend, but thank you so much for sharing what she did! I'm so glad it worked for you!!! Please feel free to email me with any other experiences - I'd be happy to do a guest post of what you've experienced. :) Have a great day!

      Delete
  9. Hello! I've been researching info about doTerra in order to decide whether or not to join and am a little confused. Are we as IPC required to purchase $100 per month or our customers? Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! Great question! It's kind of a loaded question, so hopefully you don't mind a long explanation. You might find more clear answers at www.doterrauniversity.com, but personally, it took me LOTS of explanations from those who have worked with doTERRA a while to fully understand what that "$100" is all about. This is actually a question worth its own post, so if you don't mind, I'm going to do just that! Coming up in a few mins... :) I'll add the direct link as a follow-up comment. :)

      Delete
    2. Here's the new link! Hope this helps you and others! :) http://jenheadjen.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-to-work-doterra-part-1.html

      Delete
    3. Thank you!! So I can train as long as I feel necessary without being penalized for not selling? I don't feel comfortable marketing a product I don't know as much a possible about.

      Delete
    4. Hi Stephanie,

      I'm sorry, somehow this message slipped through the email cracks! You don't ever have to sell if you don't want to! That's part of the beauty of the company. Love it! Hope this helps!

      Delete
  10. Thank you!!! So I can train as long as I feel necessar without being penalized for not selling? I don't feel comfortable marketing a product I don't know as much as possible about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're welcome! And yes, absolutely. There's no penalty ever for not selling, thank goodness! :) It's best that you do become educated before sharing. I've had a few instances where I recommended something for someone, only to find out it caused an unpleasant reaction. It's important, especially with some (like Clary Sage) to know what you're doing before someone puts them on their skin. I really wish doTERRA would have more company sponsored info as well with some of these warnings. I know my doctors certainly don't know much about oils! We do the best we can with what we have, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can speak a little to the biz end of why they would charge a $100 fee to maintain. There are several reasons why a business would do this (I am not defending/advocating it, just sharing what I've seen as reasoning from other manufacturers and retailers):
    1. Their perspective may be that it's kind of like a "loyalty program", and your benefit is the commission income that you would would see by adding more people buying and selling.
    2. Another intent is to keep you on the hook, if you've paid $100 you will want to at least get that much back in commission. And the thinking would be that if you do that much, you will likely do more and it should whet the appetite for increased sales.
    3. Also, it's an additional revenue stream for the business when there are people who sell but don't cover the $100.

    Hope that makes sense. Those are reasons I've seen for these kinds of tactics/policies before.

    Best to you and your readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well said, Edward. I'm confident there's some well thought-out business-people who calculated a no-lose situation for the company. Otherwise it would be such a gamble for them, financially. Maybe instead of wishing the $100 were actually $50, I should wish that my income were $100/hr, rather than much, much less. :)

      Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your thoughts. Best to you as well!

      Delete

Comments are as delicious as cookies in my book! (And I LOVE cookies.:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

JenHeadJen Visitors of el Mundo!

Google+ Friends